Friday, February 13, 2015

Vegan mini Pineapple Upside Down Cake!

This is my first attempt at baking an upside down cake and I must say it turned out pretty good.
With valentine's day approaching, I thought this would be a good time to post this recipe!
Happy Valentine's Day to all of you from Sugar & Spice!

I had invited my friends over for dinner, and wanted to attempt a new cake recipe. And constraint this time was Vegan! So I started looking online for a good vegan cake recipe for the upside down pineapple cake but couldn't find anything to my liking. I don't like to use Ener-G egg substitute in my baking. Why? I don't know. Maybe because I have never bought them!
I have tried out many vegan cake recipes, and just did a little modification to my Vegan Orange Cake recipe and came up with this.
This turned out to be a soft and fluffy cake, melt in the mouth type.

 Makes - 12 muffin size
Ingredients Required:
Whole Wheat Flour - 1/2 cup + 1 tblsp
All purpose flour - 1/4 cup + 1 tblsp
Corn Flour - 1/4 cup
White Sugar - 1/4 cup
Brown Sugar - 1/4 cup
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder -1/2 tsp
Vinegar - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1/4 cup
Pineapple Juice - 1/2 cup + 2 tblsp (juice from the canned pineapple)  
Crushed Pineapple - 3 tblsp

For the topping:
Brown Sugar - 1/4 cup
Vegan Butter - 1/4 cup
Canned Pineapple rings - 12
Maraschino Cherries - 6, halved

How to bake?
In a bowl, mix the wet ingredients - oil, pineapple juice, vinegar, sugars. Whisk well.
Sieve in the flours, baking soda and baking powder. Mix.
Fold in the crushed pineapple.
Preheat the oven to 350.
Butter the muffin tray. Add a tsp of brown sugar and a tsp of butter in each muffin cup.
Pop it into the oven for few minutes, till the brown sugar is bubbly. Around 2 minutes.
Take it out.
Place the pineapple rings in each cup, and a half maraschino cheery in the center of each cup with the cut side up.
Scoop out the batter in each cup till 3/4th full.
Bake for 22 minutes. Check if the cake is done with a inserted toothpick.
Cool for 5 minutes. Loosen the sides with a knife.
Place another baking sheet on top of the muffin tray and quickly turn upside down.
Tap gently with a spoon and the cakes would slide out.
Cool for 20 minutes and enjoy!
Notes:
If your muffin trays are normal size like mine, then the pineapple rings would not fit. So you would have to cut out a part of the ring to make it squeeze in and fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment