Monday, March 14, 2011

Karadaiyan Nombu

This is my first Karadayan Nombu after my wedding. I got the details and recipes of the dishes from my M-in-law and tried it out. I have given the recipes of the dishes below and also a small gist of what the festival symbolizes.


Karadayan Nombu is a traditional Tamil Nadu festival where the married women pray for the wellness and long life of their better half. This nonbu should be done exactly in the time when tamil month 'Masi' ends and the next month 'Panguni' starts. During the "nombu" the "charadu" (yellow thread) is tied around the neck chanting "URUKKADHA VENNAYUM ORADAIYUM NAAN NOTREN, ORUKKALUM EN KANAVAN PIRIYAMAL IRUKKANUM". i.e., praying for the togetherness of the husband and wife. 
The neivedhiyam offered for this festival is the Karadayan Nombu Adai with butter. 
The recipe is given below. (Click on the name or the picture for the recipe)


Sweet Adai:






Uppu Adai:

No comments:

Post a Comment