Wednesday, March 16, 2011

B'day Cake!


It was Shrini's bday couple of days back, and I wanted to surprise him with something different! So I had this thought of baking him a nice bday cake :) I wanted to bake the cake from scratch but since this was a last minute thought I didn't have all the required ingredients on my kitchen shelf :( and no time to go out and get them also.... So I had to settle for the Betty Crocker Mix and frosting which came out deliciously well! I baked a two layer cake with chocolate and vanilla frosting with some color sprinkles on top....
This is how I made it...

Ingredients:
Betty Crocker Vanilla cake mix - 1 box
Betty Crocker Chocolate cake mix - 1 box
Betty Crocker Vanilla frosting - 1 tin
Betty Crocker Chocolate frosting - 1 tin
Color Sprinkles
Oil
Milk

Baking Things which I used:
Baking glass pan - 9 X 15 inch
Parchment Paper
Ziploc Cover ( To write the name on top! )
How I baked the cake?
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
First mix the vanilla cake mix with 1/3 cup oil. Slowly pour the milk and mix with one hand till it is of cake batter consistency. Actually as per the mix we are supposed to use egg, but we do not eat egg so I usually replace the egg part with milk and believe me the cake comes out as soft as ever.
Cut the parchment paper to the size of the cake pan, so the cake does not stick to the pan.
Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly.
Place the pan in the pre heated oven and allow to bake for 20 minutes. I did check from time to time as I did not want to burn the cake!
When it is done, prick with a fork in the center of the cake and if it comes out clean with no batter sticking to it then the cake is done.
Allow the cake to cool. Since we have used parchment paper it would be so easy to lift the cake out of the pan without breaking.
Now mix the chocolate cake batter the same way as the vanilla and bake for another 20 minutes.
Once both the cakes are done and cooled its frosting time!
I made the bottom layer as vanilla cake on top of that chocolate frosting.
Make sure both the frosting are in room temperature and apply the chocolate frosting on the vanilla cake evenly.
Place the chocolate cake on top of the frosting when wet so it sticks together. Allow to dry for few minutes and then apply the vanilla frosting on the chocolate cake. The tough part for me was to apply on the sides but I some how did it. 
Allow to dry for few minutes. Now comes the writing part on top of the cake.
If you have all the required baking accessories then it would not be a problem. But I did not have them and had to make use of what was available at home!
I took a ziploc cover, filled it with 3 - 4 spoons of chocolate frosting and removed the air out of it and sealed it.
Cut out a tiny hole in one of the corners, then show your creativity on the cake! Do not give lots of pressure while writing as the Ziploc cover would burst open! oops!
Then I just decorated the cake, wrote 'Happy Birthday Shrini' and sprinkled some sprinkles in the remaining space. Ta - da the cake is done!
Now the most toughest part, to hide the cake from Shrini till mid night.. I managed to keep the cake in the oven (made sure it was not hot though.. ) and surprised him at 12!
Man... was he surprised :) Happy that he liked it :) 
I did not get a chance to take a pic after he cut the cake to show the layers as it vanished! :)

I will surely make a similar cake from scratch and post it the next time!

3 comments:

  1. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete